By: Valentine Adese, Alfred Saiki and Joy Olohi,
Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Kaduna State Council has decided to give the Nigeria Police (NP), a two-week ultimatum to fish out the perpetrators of the recent assault on its members in a press briefing held at the press center by Senators Shehu Sani and Suleiman Hunkuyi.
You would recall that it was reported that an alleged political tussle between Governor Nasir El-Rufai and Sen. Shehu Sani in Kaduna State has gotten messier amidst bribery allegations.
You would recall that it was reported that Senators, Shehu Sani and Suleiman Hunkuyi, were on Sunday attacked by suspected thugs during a press briefing in Kaduna.
Mr. Sani, the Senator representing Kaduna Central, confirmed the development to newsmen on Sunday afternoon. He alleged the attackers were sponsored by Kaduna State Government. (REALITY could not ascertain that claim).
Mr. Sani said he and Mr. Hunkuyi, Kaduna North, had organized the press conference over alleged “manipulation of the party (APC in the state)” by Governor Nasir El-Rufai, with whom he has been having a running political battle.
The lawmaker said journalists were also attacked and that one of them was in a hospital.
In its reaction to the assault and others in the country, the NUJ through its National Secretary, Shuaibu Usman Leman (Walin Shadalafiya) had called on the Nigeria Police and other Agents of the State, to immediately prioritize issues of security and safety of Journalists not only in Kaduna State but throughout the country, as critical components of their programs.
According to the statement of Usman Leman, “Some desperate politicians who are bent on destroying Journalism and Journalists in Kaduna have continued with their dastardly acts on the media. The most recent development is frightening to the Union as it signals clearly that such attacks on the media are not going to abate any soon.”
The emergency congress called following the attack on members of Nigeria Union of Journalists, Kaduna state council, has resolved to condemn in strong terms, the attack by armed political thugs who perpetrated the Mayhem leading to serious injuries on its members and destruction of properties and also recognized and commend the efforts of policemen at the onset of the press briefing.
READ THE COMMUNIQUE BELOW:
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF AN EMERGENCY CONGRESS HELD AT THE KADUNA COUNCIL SECRETARIAT OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS ( NUJ) DATED 30TH JULY, 2017.
The emergency congress was summoned following attack on members of Nigeria Union of Journalists, Kaduna Senators, House of Representatives members and Chieftains of the All Progressive Congress ( APC) who were addressing a press conference to register their grievances over the Delegate Congress of their party as well as the attack on journalists and the secretariat properties during the briefing.
Following extensive deliberations, the Kaduna Council Congress resolved as follows:
1. Condemned in strong terms the attack by armed political thugs who perpetrated the Mayhem leading to serious injuries on its members and destruction of properties.
2. That the Council recognise and commend the effort of policemen at the onset of the press briefing.
3. That the Council should file a petition to the Governor of Kaduna State over the involvement of a DPO Gabasawa who allegedly led the thugs that carried out the act and the petition should be copied to the Speaker Kaduna State House of Assembly and the NUJ National body.
4. That a two week ultimatum be issued to the Commissioner of Police Kaduna State Command to fish out the perpetrators of the act; while failure to do so, the Council will be left with no option but to boycott the activities of the Nigeria Police in the State pending satisfactory evidence that the culprits are brought to book.
5. That the Governor of Kaduna State Mallam Nasir Ahmed Elrufai as the Chief Security Officer of the State be officially informed of the security challenges of journalist in the state and the need for him to intervene urgently.
Chairman NUJ Kaduna