By: Valentine Adese,
Dr. Michael Owoicho Odeh, the owner of Elroi Mission Hospital in Jos, has dragged Mr. Maduabuchi Orji, the Husband of Mrs. Sharon Stella Ifeoma Orji, to the Plateau State High Court, demanding the sum of Five Million Naira (N5,000,000.00) as damages for libel and injurious falsehood.
Mr. Michael is seeking for an Order of Court, directing the Defendant, Mr. Maduabuchi, to retract the entire libelous Affidavit and an apology sent to him and another Order, of perpetual Injunction, restraining Mr. Maduabuchi, his agents, and privies or otherwise however described from further writing, publishing and disseminating any scandalous publication or material calculated or that tends to defame him in any manner whatsoever.
Giving account of the ugly development in his Statement of Claim filed by his Counsel, Soffiyullah Akinyemi Oladipo (Esq) between him and Mr. Maduabuchi and Mrs. Orji, Mr. Michael in part stated that:
Sometime in August, 2016, he received a petition from the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria, titled: “Re-Affidavit of complaint of Maduabuchi Orji, against Dr. Michael Odeh Owoicho on the seduction of his wife, Mrs. Sharon Stella Ifeoma Orji, by the said Dr. Michael Odeh Owoicho.
Mr. Micheal told the Court that Mr. Maduabuchi deposed in the affidavit against him as follows:
1. That unknown to me, Dr. Michael Odeh Owoicho had developed a personal relationship with my wife inconsistent with his medical practice and calling thereon.
2. That having moved from Samantha Lucil Hospital, the personal and seductive relationship between Dr. Michael Odeh Owoicho and my wife blossomed.
3. That while I was away in Owerri, Imo State, Dr. Michael Odeh Owoicho, “took over” my wife and literally became her husband.
4. That the said Dr. Michael Odeh Owoicho will come to my house and sleep there (my bedroom) to the chagrin and embarrassment of my children and house helps.
5. That on one occasion, my driver, Mr. Wale Ojikutu had come to my house one morning to take instructions from my wife on the day’s routine. On reaching the house, he met our children in the sitting room and enquired from them, the whereabouts of their mother. They informed him that she was in daddy’s bedroom upstairs. Being the house he is generally used to, he decided to go up stairs to see madam. The door was ajar and as it was customary for him he knocked at the door and pushed it open, lo and behold, Dr. Michael Odeh Owoicho and madam, were under the sheet. It was a scandal too nauseating to behold. My driver ran away. The same driver is ready and willing to testify to these facts.
6. That Dr. Michael Odeh Owoicho has boasted that he would marry my wife in the presence of his friends and relations and has even proposed returning the dowry I paid.
7. That I know that Dr. Michael Odeh Owoicho, purports to be a pastor with Church on the Rock at Rayfield, Jos. He has decided to leave his medical practice and pastoral calling for “my wife calling”. All warnings from friends to eschew himself, from this debauchery has fallen on deaf ears. He continues in enticement and seduction of my wife unabated.
According to Dr. Michael, the embarrassment, Odium and shame to which the Affidavit of Mr. Maduabuchi, has exposed him, he was compelled to react by filing a Counter Affidavit in response to the Affidavit of Mr. Maduabuchi.
Dr. Michael stated that the words used in the aforesaid affidavit meant and was understood to mean:
1. That he is an unreliable person and Doctor who seduces and has improper relationship with his female patients.
2. That he is unworthy of being a medical Doctor, as he cannot be trusted with his patients.
Agreeing to Doctor Michael’s interpretation of the words of the Affidavit, the Defendant in his Statement of Defence to the Suit, filed by his Counsel, Harrison N. Ugwuala (Esq) of H.N. Ugwuala & Partners, further maintained that all the depositions of fact the he made to the Medical and Dental Practitioners Investigation Panel are true and that the likes of Dr. Michael, who abuse their Doctor-patient relationships by taking advantage of their female patients are unworthy of being medical Doctors.
The Statement of Defence in part reads:
“Defendant admits the first paragraphs 8 and 9 of the cliam and further maintains that all the deposition of facts that he made in his Affidavit of Complaint to the Medical and Dental Practitioners Investigative Panel are true. In answer to the second paragraph 8 of the claim, the Defendant states that the Plaintiff and his likes, who abuse their doctor-patient relationship by taking advantage of their female patients (like the Plaintiff did with the Defendant’s wife), are unworthy of being medical Doctors.
“The second paragraph 9 of the claim is false and is denied. In further answer the Defendant maintains that all the facts stated in his Affidavit of Complaint, including the ones complained of by the Plaintiff are true, as the adulterous relationship between the Plaintiff and the Defendant’s wife clearly shows that the Plaintiff is unscrupulous Medical Doctor, who cannot be trusted with female patients”.
TO BE CONTINUED!!