The worries of many citizens in the state, have been the quest for the Governor to strengthen the vision and mission of his administration in order to deliver the expected and anticipated Dividends of Democracy, to help quench the peoples’ hunger and need in view of the current challenging times.The sack of Commissioners by the Governor of Plateau State, Rt. Hon. Simon Bako Lalong, did not come to many as a surprise, as political watchers and the media have had the believe that it was already overdue.
Although the fact of the dwindling finances and revenue of the state has been a stumbling block and challenged in meeting and settling the researched needs promised to be addressed by Governor Lalong’s administration in the state, the little revenue met and generated by the administration, further requires proper handlers and competent managers.
It is a fact that,the text of the administration that had announced the sack of all the Commissioners this week, never indicted any, it still suggests politically that, most of them may have underperformed, as those in the sports arena would say, “You don’t change a winning team!”
Now that the administration has decided to look inwards, reassess and evaluate its strength and weaknesses through the past two and half years, it must also re-adjust its selection standard for occupants of the office of Commissioners in order to make the administration deliver on point and timely too.
We therefore join other political watchers and concerned citizens of Plateau state that, the next selection process of Commissioners from the 17 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in the state, should be based on:
1. Interest for cooperate existence and survival of the state and its citizens.
2. Competence to manage the office of Commissioner, based on political track records and not party affiliation.
3. The level of acceptability of the nominee by the people and not political godfathers.
4. The level of influence the individual has in his community and local government at large that would enable the nominee convince people to key into government policies and programmes. And finally,
5. The credibility of such nominees.
It is believed that the emergence of nominees based on the aforementioned criteria above, may give Governor Lalong-led administration an added advantage, to boost the speedy achievements of its goals and objectives and also raise the current profile of the Governor in the state and among his colleagues in the governing business.